Friday, December 1, 2017

Santini’s NY Deli – Fairfax, VA

If any calzone I’ve eaten so far has taught me anything, it was this one. This one, had to have been the most average calzone I’ve eaten so far. Average tasting dough, average price ($9.95), average taste. There were many pros and cons to this one, for example: The dough was cooked well on the top, but it was very crispy on the bottom making it hard to completely cut through. The menu advertised the Calzone I ordered, which was the “Deli” Calzone, with ricotta cheese – but there was none to be found in it. The cheese was not thoroughly melted as I have described in other postings, but not bad. I suppose, in a headline, what this dish should be called is “Fantastic Pepperoni and Ham inside of some average tasting bread and cheese”. Being a deli, I shouldn’t have expected any less of the meats, they were great. High quality pepperoni oozing with that spicy oil they have. The ham was salty, but not too salty. The meal was served with the biggest bowl of marinara sauce I’ve had so far, except it tasted canned. Like they poured half of a can of marinara sauce in a bowl and gave it to me. The highs of this meal: the meat, the amount of marinara, the size of the calzone (medium-large) were matched by the lows of the meal: no ricotta as advertised, quality of the sauce, taste of every other part of it. They did serve the meal with a steak knife and a metal fork which is always helpful. I give this Calzone a very, very middle of the road C.


No comments:

Post a Comment