Saturday, November 25, 2017

Pie-tanza – Arlington, VA

After finding this place online, I knew that it might be slightly more upscale than what I have generally been used to. The price on the internet, and even the menu, wasn’t at all as it is in the store. Online, it appeared that there were a few “pre-built” options for a Calzone, which I generally choose. Many restaurants will allow you to “build your own” calzone, or at least add ingredients for an extra fee. However, Pie-tanza’s whole angle on Calzones is to build your own. Upon looking at the menu, there didn’t appear to be any pre-built options but, for $12.79, I was allowed to choose up to three fillings from the very large array of ingredients they had. The dough and the mozzarella are standard, so I chose domestic mushrooms, Italian sausage, and ricotta cheese. It didn’t take them long to make it. There was a giant wood-fire oven in the center of the restaurant, but it didn’t appear that they used this to make my calzone. They may have, and I was just not paying attention. The calzone was in the medium-large range as far as size goes, and it was served with a small carafe of marinara sauce that was delicious. I could describe the marinara as “earthy”. It had a lot of basil flavor and chunks of tomato in it. Suffice to say it went pretty quickly. As I am learning, a standard difference between Calzones and Strombolis are that a Calzone tends to have more dough. This was definitely the case here. The calzone had a “rolled” edge in a classic fashion, which made a lot of bread to eat around in order to get to the pocket. The dough was literally perfect. I may have had dough that I liked more because of its sweetness or texture, but this dough was, technically speaking, perfect in every way. It was not overly sweet or unsweet. It was cooked to perfection all the way through, it was both thin and crispy but had enough volume that it maintained a level of softness. The ricotta used in the pocket was a creamy high-quality cheese. The mushrooms tasted like canned ones that had been cooked (to be expected), the mozzarella seemed to not be a low-moisture kind. There was a lot of moisture in the pocket. I didn’t seem to get a whole lot of the Italian sausage that I asked for, and it was “wet” inside the middle. The wetness of the sausage and the mozzarella was not overbearing, but it did leave the bottom of the dough ever-so-slightly soggy, as described about other Calzones on this blog. All in all, this was a very good Calzone. I would score this one a B+, although it’s probably due for an A- as far as flavor goes, but the high price of almost $13 brings the score down because of the bready-ness of it and the wetness of the fillings.



No comments:

Post a Comment