Friday, October 27, 2017

Stone Hot Pizza – Alexandria, VA

I found this establishment on Google maps, searching the areas I had already haunted for new blood. I chose this restaurant because their menu offered five different types of calzone with the option to make your own. This tells me that they take their calzone seriously and don’t just offer it as an afterthought. These places are getting farther and farther away from my house so it took me a little while to get there. When I did, the place was empty. People would stop in periodically and pick up a pizza they ordered over the phone. I ordered the Superano calzone that boasted Mushrooms, Italian sausage, peppers, onion, and pepperoni. The cost for this calzone was $10.95. It did not take it very long to arrive, less than ten minutes. During my wait, two Afghani women walked in to order sandwiches. Things got loud behind the counter with a man I did not previously see. I overheard who I understood to be the owner saying “You are from Afghanistan right?” The women confirmed and the man said he was from Iran. I enjoyed their exchange because it started off in English and ended in Arabic. The man who seemed to be shouting happily was the one to deliver my calzone. I suddenly realized that the entire establishment was run by Middle Eastern people. The thing about Stone Hot Pizza is that they actually have a stone oven which they cook the pizza in. the calzone I was served had a thin and crispy crust, slightly burned in spots because of the stone oven. The dough that was used was their pizza dough, covered in cornmeal. The calzone was large. Noticeably larger than the usual calzones I am served. The thing that really makes this dish is all the toppings that are packed into the pocket. Were there mushrooms? Oh yes, and they were sautéed and delicious. Were there peppers? You betcha, and they were cooked to keep their flavor and crunchy. Pepperoni? Very high quality stuff. Onions? Slightly undercooked so they were aromatic and crunchy. The calzone also had ricotta cheese in a small amount and mozzarella. One could taste the stone oven that had cooked it. The dish was served with a side of refrigerated marinara that was just alright. The calzone overall was not the best I ever had, but it was very very good. This time, the price was even justified by the size. Something about this calzone was different though, it tasted more… Mediterranean. Like a gyro, and not like an Italian made it. No single flavor overpowered the dish as a whole. It was large enough that it got cold while I was eating it because it took me so long to finish. I score this Calzone a B+ because the price was good for the amount of food, all the flavors were excellent, and the stone oven gave the whole thing a unique flavor. 


No comments:

Post a Comment