Friday, October 13, 2017

Delia’s Pizzeria and Grill – Springfield, VA

Another one I found on Google Maps and decided to try on a whim. When I came in here, I was asked “How can I help you” once again by the host – this never fails to throw me for a loop as to what the proper response should be. I sat myself and asked immediately for the “Traditional Calzone”, Anyways, the waitress was very nice and attentive to the fact that it took about 20 minutes to make the calzone. When it arrived, I realized that this might win the award for the biggest calzone that I have eaten thus far. It was as large, if not larger than, the calzone from Ovvio Osteria. The price tag on this one was $10.50, which was not bad at all for a calzone of such a substantial size. The menu boasts the calzone with having mozzarella, pepperoni, ricotta, and sausage. In reality, it only had three of the four with the ricotta notably missing. This was unfortunate because ricotta cheese is one of my more liked ingredients in a calzone, even though I’ve been informed that it’s not very authentic Italian. Anyways, the calzone was very good, the pepperoni was of a very high quality and contained a lot of flavorful oils. The sausage, like most pizza places was bland in nature, and more for adding a consistency and texture to dishes. The mozzarella was, I believe, of a low-moisture type. The kind that gets put on New York style pizza and gets chewy when it cools down. The dough that contained all of these ingredients was handmade. It wasn’t as sweet as most of the calzone dough I’m used to, and I didn’t enjoy it as much as other doughs. It wasn’t anywhere near as bad as the dough at Paisano’s, but it ranked closer to that than not. I had a very hard time finishing this calzone because of its size. I would rate this one at a solid B. No plus or minus. The value was extremely good, the dough and the lack of advertised ricotta were not so good. The pepperoni was great, and the cheese was alright until it cooled off. The waitress kindly offered marinara on the side, which was tasty in its own right.


No comments:

Post a Comment